× Questions

Next steps with active learning

• Kimberly Johnson
  • Kimberly Johnson's Avatar Topic Author
1 year 1 week ago #1093 by Kimberly Johnson
Kimberly Johnson created the topic: Next steps with active learning
Hi,

I enjoyed your session at the TX Focus & I'm already signed up for Beat the Heat workshop in Austin scheduled for June.

I'm wondering if you have videos of children that are further along in active learning than what you showed at Tx Focus workshop? I loved the videos just trying to get ideas. My son's teacher & I have been trying to think of next steps in active learning.

Thank you so much!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Kimberly Johnson
  • Kimberly Johnson's Avatar Topic Author
11 months 23 hours ago #1290 by Kimberly Johnson
Kimberly Johnson replied the topic: Next steps with active learning
I posted a question a month ago, where do I find reply?

Thank you!

More
11 months 1 hour ago #1294 by Charlotte Cushman
Charlotte Cushman replied the topic: Next steps with active learning
Hi Kimberly,

We're sorry to be slow to post a response here. Could you tell us a bit more about your son, so that we could recommend specific ideas or videos that may be helpful? There are many different videos on the site, but it would be helpful to know what he is doing now and what his interests are in order to point you in the right direction.

That's great that you're going to be able to see Patty present again in June! That would be a good time to connect with her with specific questions, if we don't have what you're looking for on the site already.

Charlotte

• Kate Hurst
  • Kate Hurst's Avatar Topic Author
10 months 3 weeks ago #1323 by Kate Hurst
Kate Hurst replied the topic: Next steps with active learning
Dear Kimberly,
We do hope to have more videos soon showing students who are at a higher level and with whom staff are utilizing Phases 4 and 5 of the Educational Treatments. Still you could start with the videos on those pages under Active Learning Principles. That is of course if your student is at that level. What does the Functional Scheme tell you about the level of development in Social and Emotional Perception? The child should be at least 24 months or higher before you start using these treatments.

If the child is at the stage when Phase 3 (Interaction) is the appropriate Educational Treatment to use, think of simple turn-taking games during the adult child interaction times. Here is what is shared about the Adult's Role at this phase:
  • The focus of the activity should be on interaction or turn-taking between the adult and the learner.

The choice of activity while interacting with the learner is based on the learner's emotional level, his/her motor skills, interests, dislikes and need for repetition.

The adult sets up situations and environments that will foster interactive games such as you push it and I will pull it, or you give me a sound, now I'll give you a sound.

It is important for the adult to be patient and wait for the learner to take his/her turn without trying to persuade the learner to act. Simply be quiet and still.

General Guidance
If the learner is trying to complete a motor skill that he/she has not yet mastered but matches his/her motor development, the adult can say, “You can help me.”

If the learner is using his/her hands, the adult needs to provide every opportunity for the learner to familiarize him/herself with the activity and participate. The learner must be allowed to complete the movement when he/she wants to do it. The adult can model the activity as close to the learner’s hands as the individual will allow. This allows the learner to have control of his/her hands. The learner can withdraw them whenever the learner needs to.

If the learner withdraws or turns away, then the adult may have proceeded too quickly to the stage of interaction, and should return to the stage of imitation or even offering.

Hope this helps and keep a watch for new videos soon.

Moderators: Kate HurstCharlotte CushmanPatty Obrzut
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds